Saturday, October 6, 2012

the Chapa

I think I have finally become friends with my chapa. In the MTC it's almost a fashion statement because everyone is wearing one, and in Utah, it is a very common sight to see. Then we arrived in the MTC in Madrid, and we were in a group of us with our chapas so we were linked together. Here on Mallorca, we're the only old people who get to wear the chapa so we kind of stand out a little:) Then there is the fact that Steve is large in stature, i.e., tall and broad shouldered, add a dark suit and tie, and needless to say, we get a lot of very strange looks. These looks range from curiosity to complete avoidance. It is very interesting to pay attention to the body language of others as we walk down the street together. It seems every time we go to the airport someone asks us for directions--I guess we look pretty official; like we know something. I used to put it on my dresser, but after I forgot to wear it to a district meeting or two, I now put it right by the house keys and I'm finally in the habit of getting both as we walk out the door. I guess what I'm trying to say in all of this is that the chapa takes some getting used to, weird looks and all, and I really think I will miss wearing it when the mission is over. There is something to be said for putting on a badge that has the name "Jesus Christ" on it; a visual reminder and a statement of beliefs, and I'm very grateful I get to wear it for this short period of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment